Keep It Coming! To ensure delivery of this newsletter, take a minute now and create a contact in your email address book for Artellagram@artellawordsandart.com. If you don't, your Internet Service Provider(ISP) may block delivery.
Note: If this newsletter doesn't display in its delightfully colorful formatting, you can view it on the Web at www.artellawordsandart.com/ARTELLAGRAM-6-13-09.html.
The other day, I was looking for a quote that I had once heard, about life being like a book. I was delighted to find many quotes to illustrate this idea, such as:
I think of life as a good book. The further you get into it, the more it begins to make sense. Later that night, I was reading a pop-up book to little Kai, and it occurred to me that we can think of life as a pop-up book.
Your life is a book and every day is a page.
A life is like a book…inside and outside,
so, how do you get to what’s inside?
How do you get what’s inside, out?
–Gia (the film)
In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back..
When you're looking at a pop-up book, each page is a sensation to behold. You don't worry about how many pages are left, or think about what's to come. You stop to take it all in, inserting yourself into the picture, finding treasures in all the three-dimensional nooks and crannies.
"That is want I want life to be," I realized, as I snuggled closer to my sweet-smelling baby, who thankfully has not yet learned to view time as something we are to worry about.
Indeed, time is one of the biggest things that grown-ups complain about. If you pay attention to the conversations all around you, it's startling how often the subject of time comes up. And while worrying about time seems to be part of our humanity, I wonder…does it need to be?
One of the problems with our linear perception of time is that every day becomes just one of a string of days. We have to take a trip in three months and so we worry about that now. We have an assignment due in three days and so it weighs on our time today. Viewing time this way, we often allow the worries and pressures from the future to reverberate today, like guitar strings humming in a somber key.
It’s a human paradox really, because we often want to escape ourselves and lose track of time, and yet when we become fully aware of the gift of time, we become more present and in touch. I think that a solution lies in becoming less aware of time, but more aware of the present moment.
It's a crime when we allow life to become a series of meaningless days, marred by pressure, overwhelm, and worry. Whether we're having a "good" day or a "bad" day, every single moment actually is equally precious. Today is just as valuable as that always distant day in the future when we are hoping "everything will finally be easier or better". Each day in our lives, even each part of our day, is a new amazing page in our pop-up book, a multi-dimensional piece of art literally popping up for us to see and, most incredibly of all, become a part of.
So try pausing your rushing mind for a moment at the start of each day, and realize the intricate and fanciful mixed-media pop-up book that you yourself are helping to create. Then, allow yourself to leave everything behind that is not part of this vision, as you would step out of your clothes before diving into a pool of gorgeous tropical waters. Now step into the full grandeur of the possibilities and wonder the day holds. When we allow ourselves to truly and fully insert ourselves into the best pop-up page of wonder and possibilities this day can offer us, the day and all its precious pages truly come to life, just as we in turn, become fully alive in the pages ourselves.
For those short on time, to simplify this week's Artellagram, here are some ”quick links” to the highlights in this edition. You can simply follow the links that you're interested in and go directly to that section.
1. NEW! "From Here to ARTernity" Pilot Group! - From Here to ARTernity is a Mixed Media Metamorphosis that invites you to make dynamic, magical shifts in your life by organically re-shaping the way you think about time and completely altering the way you see it and use it! Whether you fantasize about taking 10 years off your age or adding 10 hours to your day, From Here to ARTernity is an inspirational journey with me through fun and lively lessons, mixed media art projects, a real hands-on art supply kit, live teleclasses, and an interactive community…all working together in new and very powerful ways.
For most people, time is the biggest challenge in fulfilling their creative potential and following their dreams. In fact, the question that people ask me the most about running Artella and being a Mom is, "How do you have TIME to do it all?" Well, when we don't think we HAVE the time, we then have to CREATE it!…and and what better way to create time, than with art? While there are lots of resources out there to help you manage the time you have, I've learned that time management can only go so far. Where time management leaves off, Time Metamorphosis takes over! And that's what From Here to ARTernity is all about!
Each time we release a new program, we allow a small group at the start to be part of the Pilot Group, receiving a substantial discount in exchange for their feedback once during the program and once when they are done. As of today, we are opening enrollment in the Pilot Group until July 2. Those who enroll in the From Here to ARTernity Pilot Group instantly save almost half off the cost of the program and also get to participate in 3 Live teleclasses presented by me, exclusively for the Pilot Group. Read about the teleclass topics, here!
If you feel this resonates with you as you read more about it, come join me as we have fun creating, sharing and traveling From Here To ARTernity, while having the time of our lives along the way!
2. Your Sample of the ARTbundance™ Coach Training Program! Artella's new ARTbundance™ Coach Training is an in-depth Certification Program that provides joyful and powerful training, for those who would like to become Certified ARTbundance™ Coaches. An ARTbundance™ Coach is a pioneering, unique hybrid of inspiring coach, creativity teacher, workshop leader, and spiritual guide. If you have been trying to figure out how you can steer your vocation to fit in with the world's current deep hunger, this training is a joyful, immensely promising opportunity unlike any other.
On Monday, June 29, I'll be presenting a free ARTbundance™ Coach Training Workshop, which will present the Top 9 creative strategies that you can pass on to your own clients, or even integrate into your own creative endeavors. We'll do some fun interactive exercises to examine your own professional, monetary, and life goals, and help you determine where your best path and next step in life might be. You also will get a first hand look at what training to be an ARTbundance™ Coach is really all about, a pioneer's wagon full o' nifty resources and tools you get to keep, as you determine if it's a right fit for you, and whether applying for the full Training Program is the inspired next step for your creative journey!
If you'd like to sign up for the free Training Sample Workshop on June 29, or find out what the heck all the hoopla for ARTbundance™ and ARTbundance™ Coach Training is all about, simply visit this page.
3. June YOUpons codes are here! Take a look at the June YOUpons, and you'll find discounts on our newest, most popular e-courses, plus savings on vintage photos, Complete Idealist Super-Bundles for creative entrepreneurs, and more!
4. NEW in the Artella Store this week! What a week! We've got lots of new items in the Artella store this week, including…
5. Luxury Member Ship Update…Live Events! I’m excited to announce the following upcoming free LIVE events for Artella Luxury Members:
The Live Events are just another nice bonus of membership, in addition to all of the weekly goodies that are sent out each and every week. If you are not currently a Luxury Member, you can get more information, here. You can access the instructions for signing up for these live events immediately when you sign up!
Also, I'm terrible at keeping secrets – LOL – I'll give you a heads up that Artella Members of ALL levels should look for a special Membership thank-you gift in your inbox next week! :-)
6. Feeling Lost? Have you ever just wished someone could hand you a literal map...with all the steps and paths mapped out to get directly to your creative dream? That's exactly what happens in my one-on-one Creative Cartography™!
7. Earn money for spreading the word! Join Artella's Generous Affiliate Program, It has great commissions, bonuses, and it even makes your teeth sparkle! :-)
8. Interested in Becoming Part of Artella's Team? If you're interested in becoming part of the Artella Team, check out this post in the Artella Cafe for details.
Since this Artellagram is talking about living life in full "pop-up" color, I thought that Nici Derosier would be the idea artist to feature! Nici's expressive soul permeates everything she does, especially her art! I hope you enjoy this interview with Nici!
Artella: Where do you find your inspiration?
Nici: The list is long, very long...but I will name a few: My children. People I have known, and lost. People I have found. Nature in all forms, especially wind and water. Feeling out of step with the world. Textiles. Trees. Memories, old photographs, stories from my childhood. Music, from Vivaldi to Nickelback.
Let us not forget, of course, paper, paper, paper : handmade, vintage, text, sheet music, blueprints, dress patterns, tissue, cocktail napkins, menus, origami, lacepaper, washi, watercolor, you name it!
You can read the rest of Nici's interview, here
See Nici's products in The Shoppes of Artella, here.
If you want more artist interviews from Artella, take a look at our eBooks Artist Profiles Assembled and Artist Profiles Assembled, Vol 2.
ART TIP OF THE WEEK: Constructing pop-ups to add to art journals and altered books is one of the hottest art trends right now, but I must admit that I am a pop-up appreciator rather than a pop-up artist. While my mother can create great pop-ups for her altered books (you can see one of her unique creations in our Paper Doll ABCs eBook), I'm afraid I didn't get the construction gene. But just because I'm not a genius with "pop physics" – LOL – doesn't mean that I can't add some pop-up effects to my projects! My solution is to alter pop-up books in the same way that you would add any other books, by altering and enhancing what is given to express a new purpose or idea.
Here's an example I created for one of the self-portrait projects included in the Mixed Media ME-flections e-course.
I created this self-portrait by altering a pop-up book of Tibetan Buddhist goddess altars. It was a quick, simple project, proving that sometimes simple projects are the most fun!
I simply added decorative stickers to the pop-up goddess - including designs of art supplies to put in her many hands, as well as text for "The Queen" and "She has a story to tell". I also cut out a photo of my face and covered the existing Goddess' face. I covered the existing text of the book with decorative paper, and then spelled out with sticker letters: "This Muse Loves Herself Good With Art Journals and Altered Books". :-)
You can alter every page in an existing pop-up book, or try removing pages that you alter and insert them in other journals or books. You can even allow them to stand up on their own, like this example.
WRITING TIP OF THE WEEK: When you're re-writing an early draft, it's often useful to work with some kind of inspiring image or concept that can help guide your writing and bring about a fresh perspective. Try this: take a draft of something you've written – perhaps a poem, a short story, or an essay. And ask yourself this question: "How might I make this piece more like a pop-up book?"
Here are just a few examples on how writing might become more like a pop-up book:
- Enhance the visual details, to make the scene become more vivid
- Make the characters more multi-dimensional.
- Try writing it from another point of view.
- Involve the reader to participate interactively
- Incorporate lists of threes to create rhythm in all kinds of writing.
- Add something shocking that feels like it surprisingly "pops" right off the page and into the reader’s lap.
Those are just a few examples…what else can you think of?
See what ideas come to mind, and then allow those fresh ideas to take form in your new draft.